Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Social media take over



 With the growing  followers of social media, makeup artist have found a way to expose their talents to millions by simply posting makeup looks they have done on themselves, and have gained a great number of followers giving them an "Insta" famous status.  You must applaud these makeup artist for taking their passion and making a name for themselves. Success is success no matter how attained and talent is undeniable. What I worry about is the new generation of artist forgetting the hard work and dedication many artist before them put in before reaching fame status.

 My trip to  IMATS ( International Makeup Artist Trade Show) LA this year left me a bit confused on what future artist find to be prestigious makeup artist.  As I waited outside for Emmy and Oscar winning artist's lectures, I noticed bigger lines for Youtube and Instgram artist which left me confused. Are the new artist more interested in the fame or in the true art and skill? Not that I am criticizing any of my Youtube and Instagram artist, I am a fan of quiet a few  myself.  I also think social media has made a lot of my favorite artist more accessible. But, I do worry about future generations.

I have always loved magazines and have quite a collection I have saved through out the years. I have always admired the artist behind the scenes and who worked with so many of my beloved entertainers. I was never one who dreamed of always becoming a Makeup Artist, but I have always had a love for it. When I did come to pursue a  career in makeup I made sure I educated myself on who was who in the industry. I quickly became fascinated with the Avant Guard looks of Pat McGrath and the legendary contour ways of Kevyn Aucoin.  Dick Smith and Rick Baker left me in awe with their history in special effects. It became an addiction and I wanted to know more and more about artist who paved the way.

My advice to future artist is educate yourself on the top artist. There's nothing more embarrassing than being right next to Beyoncé's Makeup artist, who's looks you have copied numerous times on your channel or page, and not know who she is. Give credit where credit is due. If you are re-creating a look, know who the original artist was.

I leave you with a list of some of my favorite makeup artist and who I feel every aspiring artist should know.

Fashion/Celebrity Makeup Artist                                                       

Pat McGrath                                                                               
Kevyn Aucoin                                                                                 
Gucci Westman
Billy B
Fancesca Tolot
Scott Barnes
Sam Fine
Pati Dubroff
Lottie
James Vincent
Luis Casco
Melanie Inglessis
Wayne Goss
Monika Blunder

TV/Film

Geroge Westmore
Max Factor
Jack Pierce
William Tuttle
Dick Smith
Alan Snyder
Rick Baker
Ve Neil
Patty York
Joel Harlow
Sian Richards
Lana Grossman
Jake Garber








No comments:

Post a Comment