Monday, July 14, 2014

Conceal Me

 The most frequently asked  makeup question I get is "What  concealer should I use?" I will follow up with the question "What are you trying to conceal?" This answer matters most.  How you are applying your concealer effects the result and wear of the product as well.

Here are my top 5 picks and best ways to use them. I have every one of these products in my kit  and use them depending on my clients needs.



MAC Studio Finish Concealer will give you the maximum coverage you need. Also the color range is phenomenal. you are sure to find any shade you need or choose a few colors to mix and match in your kit. Depending on how this product is applied it can be anywhere from light- full coverage. For a light coverage apply with your finger only on areas needing  coverage. For medium- maximum coverage apply with a brush  and build and blend to desired coverage. Blending with a sponge, a damp beauty blender is what I prefer, will give you an even and soft finish. This product can be used under the eyes and face. I have found I must always set this product with a translucent powder. I use Make Up For Ever HD powder for under the eyes and Laura Mercier setting powder for the face.  Most commonly used colors are NC20 NC35 NC45 NC50 NW20 NW40 NW50


Make Up For Ever's Camouflage  palettes are my go to when on set. They  are convenient with the perfect shades and correctors in one palette. I must have palette 1 and 4 on hand at all times. With these two palettes I can conceal, contour and do a whole face if needed. Dani Sanz, creator of Make Up For Ever intended this product to be used with your fingers. It glides on smoothly and works great on both under the eyes and on the face. the best way to set this product is with a translucent powder like Make Up For Ever's HD loose powder. The colors are also sold individually at all Make Up For Ever boutiques.  The color I have found to work with most olive skin tones is  #15.
Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat is a Celebrity Makeup artist favorite. Used more as a highlighter rather than a concealer, this magic little pen will brighten up  dark areas around the eye and face. Best places to apply are highlighting areas. You can use this on bare skin or on top of your makeup. I recommend using it over a concealer for maximum coverage and highlight, or on bare skin for a natural and fresh look.  You will get a light to medium coverage and it is best applied sweeping in desired area and using your finger to blend out. Make sure you are using your ring finger when blending along the eyes to use the most gentle pressure on such a delicate area. The light weight formula never leaves you feeling caked, but make sure you select a proper shade. Three colors I keep on hand are 1-3 and 6.





MAC Select Cover Up has been a favorite of mine since I began my career. As a new artist and having to be on a tight budget,  I needed something that would cover, conceal and could possibly be used for a foundation.  This concealer never failed me. You can achieve a light- to full coverage depending on the amount applied. I recommend keeping it to a light or medium coverage.   It is a matte formula,but blended with an eye cream, I usually used MAC fast response, it can work on the darkest and driest of eyes.  The wide color range makes it easy to select a few colors to mix and blend. I prefer to add colors to a palette and use a brush for application. Don't use your fingers for this product. The extra oils from your fingers doesn't mix will with the formula. To set use a translucent powder where needed. Most commonly used colors are NC20 NC35 NC45 NC50 NW20 NW40 NW50







Maybelline's Age Rewind concealer is the best bargain concealer I have found. The sponge applicator is excellent for around the eye area. There isn't as much variety in color as I would like, but great for light to medium skin tones. the light weight formula doesn't crease in any lines and lives up to it's advertising. You can achieve a light to medium coverage, but for best coverage results I recommend applying this product and letting it sit for about 30 seconds before blending. Use a brush or sponge for blending.  Also a great bargain is this concealer in the brightener shade. This works almost identical to the Touche Éclat that I posted on top and for a fraction of the price. Warmer skin tones can blend the brightener with your shade concealer to create the same effect. Use a translucent powder to set if needed. I keep shades light-dark and the brightener in my kit.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the helpful info and for providing suggestions for the bargain hunters ;-)

    ReplyDelete