Friday, July 18, 2014

Marc Harvey- Airbrush Makeup Expert and Innovater


By now everyone has heard of airbrush makeup. It has become a phenomenon in all fields of makeup artistry, and some would even say a skill required for all makeup artist. It is technique often requested by TV, Film, bridal, and for special makeup effects.  





Marc Harvey can be considered an expert on this sought after skill due to his extensive success in the products he has been associated with and the praise he has garnered from his peers of top makeup artist. You may have caught the very popular infomercials that are played late at night or a segment on the Home Shopping Network.  If so, Marc is a face you should be familiar with. As a spokesperson for one of the top brands, Luminess Air, he catapulted the popularity and success for this at home system.  He has gone on to create the airbrush makeup line, ElemenTwo, which has been used in top films; such as The Hunger Games, and on magazine covers, celebrities and television networks around the world.  His newest venture is a product he is proud enough of to bare is name, Marc Harvey Beauty.

Beauty by Bueno caught up with Marc on his recent trip to Los Angeles, where he was in town to glam up some of his clients for the Espy Awards. I have been a fan of ElementTwo for years, so I was excited to hear Marc was coming out with a new even better product.  Yes, he even let me try some of the Marc Harvey Beauty line, and I can’t wait to add them to my kit! I truly believe this product is going to be a ‘must have’ in every artist's kit. Be on the lookout for a review on the new products soon, but for now enjoy getting to know a little bit more about Marc Harvey.

 
How did you begin your career as a makeup artist?

 Marc Harvey:  I was in the marketing industry, nothing to do with makeup. I was doing makeup as a hobby for my girlfriends and my sister who was a model.  Through her I worked with modeling agencies and with all the models. About 8 years ago, my mentor, Tisha, asked me if I wanted to take over her position at Millennium Modeling Agency as director. She did everything there, she was the teacher, makeup Artist, runway coach, confidence builder for the girls. I was like, ‘Woah! That’s a lot’. But, that’s how I got started.  I took a leap of faith and said, 'ok I’m going to do this'. The rest is History. After I became director I started booking fashion shows, bridal magazines, and other productions.

 

 How did you reach celebrity status?

MH:  That’s a good question, because it just kind of happened. I want to say I owe it to my personality. I’ve never just been a makeup artist I’ve always been a bit of a personality myself. After leaving Millennium Models I began working for Bobbi Brown and from there I started working for Luminess Air. I came on as director for Luminess, and using my marketing expertise  I took the brand  to the next level. When I came on it was only an infomercial product. I wrote proposals to Saks; I wrote proposals to Nordstrom, and that’s how Luminess got into retail and on the Home Shopping Network (HSN). That’s what really took me to the next level- doing the infomercials, being on air, bloggers like yourself wanting to interview me, and my peers in the industry. Top artist started asking me more about airbrush and asked me to go and work with them.

 

  What would you say has been the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome in your career?

MH: Even though we are in 2014, it’s still hard being a black man in the industry.  I ask aspiring artist and pro artist all the time, name me 3 top African American male makeup artist? And, they can’t. Everyone knows one, Sam Fine, and he is an amazing one to know, but who else can you name?  Same goes for black females. Again, everyone can just name one, Pat McGrath. Both amazing artist, but who else?  It’s as if the up and coming black artist get no attention. I do believe it is where we are in our culture, and also in a female dominate industry. When Lumniess got with HSN, The owner of Luniness wanted to hire a female, blonde and blue eyed as the spokesperson.  HSN spoke out and said 'No, Marc is your spokesperson. We want him on the show, he’s the reason you’re here in the first place.’ We need more companies and networks to take notice to all talent as HSN did for me. That’s why I love the Powder Group they really help show case a variety of artist. It really is a great organization.

 

How did you start up ElemenTwo and now Marc Harvey Beauty?

MH: I was in Paris with Luminess doing the Beauty Beyond conference. We were the only Airbrush vendor there. Well, I was approached by the top airbrush system supplier in North America. They asked me what it would take for me to leave Luminess. I knew it would take a lot.  Well, they asked me to partner with them and create a private color line. They offered to provide the airbrush systems, and I was to create the product, name it, the color science, everything. And that’s what I did with ElemenTwo.  I was inspired by the desire to create something I wanted out of an airbrush. I got with one of the top chemist in the world that worked for Shi Sheido for 20 years. Took trips to Taiwan to work with him, and it was great. I knew it would be more of a pro line. It had a lot of bold colors that the average person wouldn’t know what to do with. It was a great product, but I knew I still wanted to do more for airbrush makeup.  After realizing it was best for me to part ways with my ElemenTwo partners, I sold my shares in the company. Enter Marc Harvey Beauty. Here I go again trying to reinvent something I wanted in an airbrush product. I also wanted an airbrush that could be used in every look of makeup.  Some people don’t understand that it can be used for every esthetic with the right product. A lot of people relate certain airbrush formulations with certain brands. I want Marc Harvey Beauty to be the go to for every airbrush need and look from bridal, editorial to television and film. I have created a really versatile product that I am excited to share with the industry.   I hope my peers like, Ve Neil, Kevin James Bennette, James Vincent, and Orlando Santiago who supported me and gave me great reviews with ElemenTwo will see how I have found a way to make this product even more versatile. Some of them have already reached out and we have projects in the works so stay tuned!

 How does receiving the recognition and support of some of your successful peers make you feel?

MH: It makes me feel amazing! When I see Valente Fraiser or Orlando Santiago liking a picture of mine, I’m like ‘WHAT?!’ That’s amazing! I do also know what images they would like because I know their styles. I have followed their work. I love that they are seeing the mark I am leaving in the industry and recognizing my work and products. I’ve never thought that ‘yeah, I’m a badass makeup artist’. I’ve always loved the creating process of it.

Do you feel getting recognition from the industry is more important to you than say a million followers on social media?

MH: Ok, so I just started Instagram, I know that’s a shame. With my big personality you would think I would have an Instagram sooner. I have few hundred followers, and I’m ok with that. I don’t need a thousand followers, it’s great if I reach that, but not a goal of mine. I want people just to recognize me for what I’m doing in the industry, or because I inspire them, or they just like my work.

 

Where does your inspiration for Marc Harvey Beauty come from?

MH:   Because I work with more ethnic skin tones, I gain inspiration from finding a variety of colors for them. Also color theory.  I love blending and finding what colors work together and counter act. I love creating products and colors that aren’t already out there. And you may say ‘oh my god, you can’t create something that’s not already out there, because there is a sea of products in the market’. That’s not true. As long as you understand color theory and the color wheel, there will always be something else to create. Because the possibilities are infinite. I just want to create products I love and that I haven’t been able to find on the market. I feel like that’s what I did with Marc Harvey Beauty.  I’m excited about so many of my products coming out, especially my primers and lip creams.

What advice do you have for aspiring artist?

MH: Learn. Always continue to learn.  Because I’m still learning. I’m always trying to stay on the top of my knowledge to create. Never close yourself off.

 

Meet Marc and try Marc Harvey Beauty at The Makeup Show in Dallas,Tx on September 27 & 28. For more information on Marc and Marc Harvey Beauty visit www.MarcHarveyBeauty.com.  Follow him on Instagram @MarcHarveyBeauty

 

1 comment:

  1. Good post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it! Best airbrush makeup

    ReplyDelete